Theft and Revelation



I don't normally use my blog to winge about the bad things that happen to me. I prefer to stay positive and see the bright side, and I like to project that bright side to my few readers. After all, you've probably got problems of your own to cope with, without having to listen to mine. However, something horrible happened at the Christmas Farmers market last year which made me really think. I thought I would share these thoughts with you all in the spirit of self discovery. I hope you don't mind.

The Sunday before Christmas was a bad day for many reasons. We all have them I know, where if it can go wrong it will. Thankfully I don't get them very often but this particular Sunday more than made up for the lack. The crowning bad point was discovering that someone had stolen my needle felted rabbit from our stall at the farmers market. You might remember him if you follow our Facebook page. We made them as a group with Erica from Arts, Rush and Cane. He did a sterling job of advertising our felting classes, and the fabulous Arts, Rush and Cane felting kits that we sell, which is why I'd taken him with me. After realising he was gone, and searching fruitlessly for him, I tried to put his theft out of my mind and get on with my day.

But he kept coming back to haunt me. I told myself that I was being stupid. After all, he was a small amount of fluff, pleasingly shaped but not worth very much. I can easily make another one, a better one probably, in about four hours. Yet still I couldn't shake the horrible feeling of loss his theft had left me with. And then I worked out why.

He wasn't just a pleasingly shaped bit of fluff at all. He was a memory of several happy hours spent with friends, learning a new skill. He was a shared feeling of delight on realising that we could all shape fluff into animals almost by magic. He was a sense of pride and achievement in my ability to learn and grow, to gain knowledge and create something new. He was a feeling of accomplishment in a project well finished.

And he was just so damm cute, and I made that cuteness.

So I think it's okay to feel loss over my little bit of fluff, and although the next rabbit will come with me to help sell things, I'm not sure he'll be as good.

On the positive side I did learn that Short Round can be the most sensitive and caring child when faced with someone in distress. He search high and low for my rabbit, hugged me lots more than usual and tried his hardest to make me feel better. When we finally got home, after all the other disasters that happened, he sat in his room and drew me a rabbit to replacethe one I'd lost.

So I'm going to take pride in him instead.

If by chance the person who needed my rabbit so badly reads this, please treat him with respect. He's worth so much more than a little bit of fluff.

Comments

  1. I can really understand your distress, which you have written about so eloquently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I thought it was an experience worht sharing.

      Delete
    2. Lovely piece of writing beautifully expressing just how much of ourselves we stitch into our work. I can TOTALLY relate. I recently misplaced a piece of Kantha work I'd done. Basically it was just rags, recycled charity shop scarves, fraying rags, with simple stitching. And yet, and yet..it represented so much more. Happily, it wasn't stolen, and even more happily, it eventually pitched up..but how I felt during the weeks it was lost was an eye opener. I'm so sorry you had this horrible experience. Thankyou though, for translating that upsetting event into a lovely, touching piece of writing.

      Delete
    3. Lovely piece of writing beautifully expressing just how much of ourselves we stitch into our work. I can TOTALLY relate. I recently misplaced a piece of Kantha work I'd done. Basically it was just rags, recycled charity shop scarves, fraying rags, with simple stitching. And yet, and yet..it represented so much more. Happily, it wasn't stolen, and even more happily, it eventually pitched up..but how I felt during the weeks it was lost was an eye opener. I'm so sorry you had this horrible experience. Thankyou though, for translating that upsetting event into a lovely, touching piece of writing.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No Sew Mitred Square Blanket and the point of knitting!

Lyra Hat, for people with a BAHA hearing aid.

Crochet cord How To