Winter plans and a free hat pattern

I'm making my first New Years resolution early this year.  I feel very much that I neglect my blog, and having been told by several people that they do actually read it (Hi Y'all) I've been examining why I don't write more.  I went through all the usual excuses, like lack of time, too much to do etc. and decided that they were all bumpkin.  What is really going on is that I've got no interest in it.  So to combat this apathy I'm making it a seasonally themed blog with a new entry every week.  There will be patterns, including knitting, crochet, button and lots of other crafty stuff, recipes, poems, stories, in fact anything I can include within the seasonal theme.  Starting with winter obviously.  So Happy New Year everyone and hope you enjoy this weeks free hat pattern.  I've included a free PDF download for this hat on the Beaker Button Designs Ravelry page here.



Remember Me Hat
©Jen Best 2014   

Tension: 10cm x 10cm square =  7 sts x 10 rows in stocking stitch, size 10mm needles or appropriate size to achieve the correct tension, cable needle, yarn needle for sewing up, Super Bulky yarn 200g, 116m approx.  Pom Pom maker or card for making Pom Poms.  
I used DMC Aurora in the sample but it would work well with Malabrigo Rasta or your own super bulky art yarn! 

This hat is knitted sideways with a cable.  The rib is picked up around the bottom and knitted, then the whole sewn up the back and gathered at the top.  The Pom Pom is added last.  It was inspired by a hat I saw in the BBC drama Remember Me.

Cast on 20 sts.
Row 1: P2, K6, P4, K6, P2
Row 2 and all wrong side (even) rows: K2, P6, K4, P6, K2
Row 3: P2, Cf6, P4, Cf6, P21
Row 5: P2, K6, P4, K6, P2
Row 7: P2, K6, P4, K6, P2
Row 9: P2, K6, P4, K6, P2
Row 10: K2, P6, K4, P6, K2

Repeat last 10 rows until work measures 58cm (or required width for head) ending with a right side row facing. Cast off in pattern but don't break yarn.
Pick up and knit 30 sts (adjust if you’ve changed the width of the hat) across the bottom of the hat. 
Row 1 of brim: (K1, P1) across the row.
Repeat the last row three more times. Cast off very loosely in rib (I cast off using Elizabeth Zimmerman’s sewn cast off).
Sew up the back using whip stitch. Sew the top together by making a running stitch round the top and pulling it tight.
Make a few stitches to close the hole.


Using the remaing wool make a pom pom and sew it to the top.  I made my pom pom by wrapping the yarn loosely round my hand.  I used the yarn tails from the hat to tie round the middle of the wraps very tightly and then I cut through the ends of the wraps to make the pom pom.  Wear with pride!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Sew Mitred Square Blanket and the point of knitting!

Lyra Hat, for people with a BAHA hearing aid.

Crochet cord How To